Sunday, April 20, 2008
Posted by Bobby Beck at 7:18 PM
The Goonies Tour 2008!
GOONIES!!! Okay, this is a trip I have been talking about doing for years. Anyone who knows me knows that this is my favorite movie! I flew up to Portland where we met up with Jeff and Sally Riley and then the adventure began! I can honestly say this trip was freaking AWESOME!!! It was so fantastic visiting the sites and being in the "Goonies" land. It was surreal! It felt great to be a big kid.

When the movie first came out in 1985 i was 11 years old and my mom and I sat in the theatre and watched it two times in a row back to back! I love my mom! She's awesome!!! This film is very special to me and I'm happy to say that even after all this time the film still holds up! How do I know... well I watched it the night we got in to Portland! WOOT!!!

We arrived in beautiful Astoria, Oregon Saturday April 12th! Wow, what a fantastic town. Astoria is also where they filmed a lot of the movie "Short Circuit," "Free Willy," and "Kindergarden Cop." The weather was fantastic and the air was so fresh. There was definitely "movie magic" in the air. Here we are in front of the Jail House in Astoria where the Fertelli's break out of at the beginning of the movie. The paint has changed but it was so MEGA cool to see.

The Goonies house (Brand and Mikey's House) is really there! It was so crazy amazing to be standing right in front of it. Data's house is right next door where he slides across in the movie into the front door of this house. Man, I'm just so jazzed about it even as I type this.

Yes, of course we had to do "The Truffle Shuffle" in front of the Goonies house just like in the movie. This is an image from a movie of us doing the dance. WOo hoo!!!

We stayed in Cannon Beach about 30 minutes south from Astoria; which is home of the famous "Haystack Rock." This is the rock that Mickey lines up with the Light House the Rock and the Fertelli's Restaurant. The Light house and Rock are there but the Restaurant was a set in the movie. Seeing the rock was magical. No joke, it felt so 3D in the best of ways. (Notice my cool T-shirt; which I got in Astoria the day before, woo hoo!!!!)

My hotel was right in front of Haystack Rock! It was so cool. That night we watched the movie again with commentary with all the actors grown up talking about what it was like filming the movie and it was so cool seeing the film again having been to so many of the spots!

There are so many photos and stories to tell from the trip but I wanted to post a little something because this trip was just AMAZING! This trip was all about being in touch with our inner kid! It feels so nice to be in touch with this aspect of life as "anything is possible" and there are no limitations. As we grow up life inherently becomes more complicated but I do my best to remember to always be in touch with the kid in me. We're all just big kids when we grow up and I never want to lose touch with that side of me. I hope you enjoy this little entry and I hope it inspires you in some crazy way!

Labels: ,

19 comments