Friday, February 2, 2007
Posted by Bobby Beck at 10:39 PM
Pan's Labyrinth..."A fairy tale for grown-ups"

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Every once in a great while a film comes along that REALLY knocks me off my seat and stays in my head for weeks, months. To me that's a great movie. A couple week's ago I went to see Pan's Labyrinth and it hit me on so many levels in such a great way. I didn't know anything about it other than I had seen a few images of the guy who has eyes on his hands and thought, "that looks interesting."

I went with a group of super great friends and a bunch of them had already seen the film just the week before and wanted to see it again! "Hmmm, I don't want to get my hopes up." But I did anyways, and I was pleasantly surprised.
The core of the film is based around a mother who married a new husband who is a general and a horrible man. She married him because she thought it would be great for her daughter and "son to be." There are lots of great twists and turns in the film and overall the core concept is very solid. If the film was just the core story it would have been a good film by itself.

However, the part that took it to a deeper level for me was the "magical/fantasy" world the daughter lives in. It just felt so right. I don't want to give away too much of the film because I think it's worthy of going out to see it... right now! No joke! I can't wait to buy the DVD to see the extras. It's one of those films I want to see over and over again.

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Labels:

2 comments